Updated: Oct 15, 2019
Water stored in a copper vessel, preferably overnight or at least for four hours, acquires a certain quality from the copper. Copper is an essential trace mineral that is vital to human health. It has antimicrobial, antioxidant, anti-carcinogenic and anti-inflammatory properties.
Drinking 2 to 3 glasses of water that has been stored in a copper vessel is another easy way to supply your body with enough copper. According to Ayurveda, drinking copper-enriched water first thing in the morning on an empty stomach helps balance all three doshas (Kapha, Vata and Pitta). This also ensures proper functioning of different organs and several metabolic processes.
Other reasons drinking from copper is healthy for you are:
1. Helps the digestive system perform better
Copper has properties that help kill harmful bacteria and reduce inflammation within the stomach, preventing human body from ulcers, indigestion and infections. Copper also helps cleanse and detox your stomach, regulates the working of your liver and kidneys, and proper elimination of waste and ensures the absorption of nutrients from food.
2. Helps heal wounds faster Known for its immense anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties, copper is a great tool for healing wounds quickly. Apart from that, copper is also known to strengthen your immune system and aid in the production of new cells.
5. Mitigates the risk of cancer
Copper has very strong antioxidant properties that helps fight off free radicals and negate their ill effects – one of the main reasons for the development of cancer.
6. Protects you from infections Copper is known to be oligodynamic in nature (the sterilizing effect of metals on bacteria), and can destroy bacteria very effectively. It is especially effective against E.coli and S.aureus, two bacteria that are commonly found in our environment and known to cause severe illnesses in the human body.
7. Beats arthritis and inflamed joints Copper has very potent anti-inflammatory properties. This asset is especially great to relieve aches and pains caused due to inflamed joints – like in the case of arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Apart from that, copper also has bone and immune system strengthening properties, making it the perfect remedy for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
8. Regulates the working of the thyroid gland Health experts believe that one commonality among people with thyroid diseases is that they usually have low levels of copper in their body. While this is most commonly seen in people with hyperthyroidism (excessive thyroid hormone), those with hypothyroidism (low levels of thyroid hormone) may also suffer from this deficiency.
9. Beats anemia The most amazing fact about copper is that it is required in most processes that occur in our body. Right from cell formation to aiding in the absorption of iron, copper is an essential mineral for the functioning of your body.
10. Slows down ageing
Finally, copper is your natural remedy for getting rid of the aging lines on your face. Packed with very strong anti-oxidant and cell forming properties, copper fights off free radicals, one of the main reasons for the formation of fine lines.